About Me

My photo
Wyoming/Nebraska, United States
I am a Grandma with a passion for beauty, joy and life. Finding yourself seems to be the answer to a joyous heart, peaceful soul and quilting does this for me. Putting the Lord first in life keeps me grounded.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Memory Quilts

I was asked to make a few memory quilts from shirts....I met with a very sweet lady, got the story behind the shirts and the need for the memory quilts.  I was honored to take on this project and found that I really enjoyed coming up with something special for her and her family---See they lost a son and brother and wanted to have something made of his shirts, so that is when I came in and here is what I came up with:
I started with a pile of shirts--about 25 and a pair of sleep pants.  Cutting them into 5 1/2" squares...sewing them into 9 patches and then cutting them in 1/2  top to bottom and side to side.
This is 2 of the 4 blocks
This is what it looks like after you reassemble it.
Here is one of the finished throws.  I just couldn't leave it alone....I had to add a little something to the quilt for the memory of the lost family member...
I decided to embroider his name on a pocket and sew it back on the quilt for her to put a note, picture or whatever in the pocket.  These are Christmas gifts for her family, so I wanted them to be special
Close up of the quilting design.  I used flannel on the back and a multi-color homespun for the binding to bring all the colors together. 
It was fun coming up with a Christmas gift that will surely bring a smile to another person's face.  They will be able to cuddle in and remember Doug as they warm up.








2 comments:

  1. Oh Chell, this turned out GOOOOOOD! It is so warm and friendly, cuddly - I'll bet she had tears in her eyes. The quilt may have been based on memories, but it just FEELS like the lost one is there. I LOVE the name on the pocket. I didn't realize you were MAKING the quilt as well as quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did 3...start to finish. I was happy to have them done before the deadline I had set for myself.

    ReplyDelete